Saturday, December 29, 2012

Desert Storm Norm

If there's one thing I've always taken plenty of pride in life about, it's my own military service. Mine started much later in life than most but I consider it the best thing I've ever done. It was an honor to my father. I'm proud to say that I'm the only on of my parent's four offspring to have served in the United States Armed Forces despite albiet part time as a member of the Army National Guard in both California and Arizona.

With that in mind, there's nothing in the military service that I can say that I've admired more than the others who have chosen to raise their own hand and take the oath of allegiance to serve our country the way they have. Many have been honored in ways that most of us can only hope for and dream about just as much as there were many others who gave their lives for a good cause.

General Schwartskopf is no exception. I first saw him make a good name for himself in his "Stormin Norman" personality that he brought to his position as commander of coalition forces in 1991 during Operation Desert Storm. Frowed on by many for that fiery attitude but praised by many others who knew that he was just doing what a four star general in any branch had to do.

It's not easy being a career military man in any branch, or at any level for that matter. General Schwartskopf did that as well as anyone could have ever asked for and did so in a career spanning back to the Vietnam era that began shortly after his commission into the Army as a Second Lieutenant after graduation from West Pointand serving his fisrt assignment as a platoon leader at the 187th Airborn Infantry Regiment in Fort Campell, Kentucky.

After many rescue missions in Vietnam and moving on to his personal prestiege in Operation Desert Storm General Schwartskopf would retire and go on to public speaking as an alternative to the post military political career that many predicted for him. General Schwartskopf would make his final march to eternal life on December 27, 2012. With that sharp salute that would be rendered by any member of any branch of the service, for the service of General Norman Schwartskopf I say "Thank you Sir for your service and may you continue to watch over all who continue to serve from the body of stars, just like the four you wore on your uniform."

No comments:

Post a Comment