Friday, February 19, 2010

Digital Revolution.


It's that time in our lives, the 21st century, new technological advances taking place faster than anyone can take two breaths. Like most people, places, things, you name them, I'm caught right in the middle of it all.



Postal mail, "snail mail," whatever you want to call it, yes, it's still there, but I can't even remember how long it's been since I sat down on a typewriter, wrote a personal letter, placed it in an envelope and sent it. E-mail and text messaging on mobile devices have taken over and here to stay with me.



Names like Ben Franklin, Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell to name a few, though their are many other names on the list of the great inventors in the history books that I often wonder what some of them would think if they were alive today to see the high tech devices we're living and working with now. For me personally the telephone has even taken a backseat to communicating over today's world wide web.



On the side of personal entertainment, today's high defenition TV is as awesome as those high quality and very lifelike images come across the screen. Yes, not every TV station is taking up HD TV but like all aspects of the high tech world, most are catching up slowly but surely. Video gamers can speak for themselves as I'm not one of them.



Anyone who knows me should also know that digital photography is the key to my personal revolution as I never thought I'd see the day when I did not have to eagerly wait for film to be developed, waste film on bad action shots, (sports, etc.), or worry about running out of film.



Yes, film is still available, it's still being used, and film cameras, though shrinking in number, are still available on the retail market. I always thought that film would be obsolete by now, I'll give it another 10 years and see what happens.



Loading memory cards with capacities of one thousand images as well as the opportunity to simply erase the images that don't come out well has been the key to my comeback in today's livelihood that I hoped I would have many years ago.



My fondest memory of my senior year in high school of being a student photographer and editor of the school yearbook is always in the backbone of my thoughts on the subject of film developing, image printing, designing layouts by hand and everything else that went with it is in the backbone of my thoughts when it comes to the "now vs. then'' theory.



I often ponder my thoughts on those days, the interesting opportunity along with the hardships that came with it and I often wonder what that job would've been like if--let's say I then had the "digital darkroom" that I have today.

No comments:

Post a Comment